SEPTEMBER HIGHLIGHTS // 2017

Saturday, September 30, 2017
"Have you heard what Mozart's up to?"
...
...
...
...
"He's decomposing."

(sometimes I use stupid jokes as blog post intros. now to the highlights of september we go :P)

VACAAATIONNNN! I retreated with my family to a lakeside cabin resort for a couple of days, and it was so nice. Vacations are meant for relaxation, but for me vacations = WRITING RETREATS! So I plopped myself down in a comfy chair and window table and basically wrote there all week long. It was glorious and reconfirmed my dream of being a full time writer someday. How glorious would it be to write, blog, brainstorm, + socialize over the internet all day long? :P

We went hiking a few times over the vacation, and I expected a few hills, maybe just a slight burn in my calves after we were done... BUT THEN END UP TAKING A PATH THAT HAS 437 STAIRS. *collapses* As I writer I have put my characters through many less-than-desirable situations... but I would never torture them to such an extreme as this. :P

Our room in the resort also had a giant media screen projector, which meant watching lots of movies (yay movies! especially eating snacks during the movie xD). I rewatched Interstellar for the fourth (?) time, and it is my favorite movie ever. Someday I'll write a post about my extreme love for it. IT JUST INSPIRES ME AND IS EXACTLY THE TYPE OF VIBE I WANT MY STORY TO HAVE. *happy sigh* Just writing about it makes me want to go watch it again. <3

this was my writing view all week. TAKE ME BACK. <3
Random, but I've been better about going to bed early? ("early," hahaha) Last year/beginning of this year it wasn't rare for me to stay up past one, but that hasn't happened in a long time. And if it does, it happens on a Friday night when I'm rushing to finish my blog post. :P I'm TRYING to be better about healthy sleep habits, but it's so hard when I'm a natural night owl. >.<

New song of the month: Dreamers by Oh Gravity. I've been playing it on repeat on my Spotify ever since I discovered it. Snippet of the beautiful lyrics below:
We're the lines in between, in the shadows we glow
As the world falls asleep, we're the voices that don't
And together we sing, what our hearts can't contain
Whatever comes next we'll bring all the stories we make

LOOK! I READ MORE THAN TWO BOOKS! The last time this happened was in May, and before that February. I'm a happy bookworm. And since I don't plan to be doing much writing in October -- just plotting -- I'm hoping for another five next month. 

I just really adore stories. I lowered my Goodreads reading goal last month, and that was really freeing, because now I only read when I genuinely want to read. Which has been happening a lot more -- it's great, but also frustrating because I need to write and work and do school and a bajillion of other things as well. xD


Vengeance Road [3/5] - This may sound harsh, but I am not a fan of western stories. So, considering that, this rating is actually quite high! xD Lots of gun shootin', lots of twists, and lots of me squealing over the beautiful cover. // goodreads

Unsanctioned Eyes [4/5] - Huzzah for dynamic, tea-loving characters! This is an extremely quotable book filled with many witty, fun, and thought-provoking one liners. There's so much promise for future stories from this author. :D // goodreads

Broken Wings [2.5/5] - This is the second book in the Angel Eyes trilogy, and for some reason it didn't click with me? Which is disappointing since I rated the first one five stars. But the reviews on Goodreads rave over the third and final book, so I'm still going to give it a go. (supposedly there are lots of plot twists so that gives me hope!) // goodreads

Midnight at the Electric [5/5] - THIS BOOK WAS SO SURPRISINGLY GOOD. I randomly picked it off of the library shelf (which I normally never do) and read it all in one sitting after midnight. Gorgeous lyrical writing, dynamic characters, beautiful interwoven plot... READ IT. <3 // goodreads

Welcome to Night Vale [3/5] - It's a very entertaining story, but if you're choosing between the podcast and the book... go for the podcast. I maybe would've liked this more if I listened to it on audiobook, but it dragged on at some points. *shrug* // goodreads


this is the closest I'll get to my story's setting in real life :')
WRITING WAS SO MUCH FUN THIS MONTH. Editing didn't feel like a chore! I actually wish I had more time to edit! And coming from me, that's a big statement. But I'm passionate about this story. I want to make it better and share it with others someday. <3

I've been working on the second draft of Where Shadows Lie for several months, slowing chugging through the story. But the vacation helped create some extra momentum, and I'm so close to finishing the second draft! *confetti* I'm hoping to go into "super-ninja-editing-mode" after work this afternoon. I WILL GET IT DONE (maybe :P).

We went up north by Lake Superior for our vacation, and the setting was PERFECT for my story. I sat on the rocks by the lake while editing a chunk of my novel that takes place on the sea. It was epic, even though I soaked my boot in the water (oops). And birch trees! They are what first inspired this story, so it was awesome to see little clumps of them scattered throughout our hikes.

October will be the beginning of #NaNoPrep. (of my superhero story!) I'm FINALLY starting to make progress in creating a general plot line. There is still so much to work out, but Hannah has been a huge help in brainstorming the novel. *flails wildly* I'm super (haha, get it? super? as in superhero? sorry) excited about writing in a modern day setting. That means technology and cities and cars and the internet! It opens up a whole new world of possibilities. :D

Do you people watch? Lisa wrote a short story of her observations on a simple Saturday drive, which was so beautiful. It makes you wonder about everyone's story. <3

Anna has some AMAZING tips on "how to stay sane when life isn't." Check it out because she shares some seriously wonderful advice.

Alea shared this next post with me (thank youu!). It's a very insightful article by a successful author and blogger (K.M. Weiland) about "protecting creativity." <--good stuff right here.

Thinking about a Bible reading plan for next month? Nadine's introducing a new challenge: Old Testament October.

- - -

HOW WAS SEPTEMBER FOR YOU? If you're participating in NaNoWriMo, will you be joining the ranks of plotters in October? Or are you a die hard pantser? Somewhere in between? I hope preparation goes amazingly for you -- START STOCKING UP ON COFFEE NOW, hehe. xD

<3,
katie grace

how was your september, my friends?

61 comments :

  1. I AM SO HAPPY YOU HAD A GOOD MONTH OF WRITING!!! I did, too! Actually the best in a VERY long time. XD
    I so want to go to a cabin sometime and have a little writing retreat there. *longing sigh*
    Okay, that picture of you hugging the tree is like the cutest thing! I can definitely see how it represents your story. :)
    Somehow I'm already done prepping for NaNo?? I'm usually the biggest procrastinator on God's green earth, but this time I'm like very prepared. So instead of prepping all October, I'll be starting a new challenge to write every. Single. Day. I really want to be a committed writer, so that's what I'm gonna do! XD I'm just honestly dying for November to begin so I can write my book. I'm like so excited for it. O_O
    YES ALLL THE COFFEE AND COCOA FOR EVERYONE! XD
    ~Jaclynn~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so glad! <3 What made this month especially productive compared to other months?

      OOoh, really? THAT'S SO AWESOME. What will you be writing about? Little prompts or making up your own or plotting or? WE WILL CONQUER NANOWRIMO TOGETHER.

      Delete
    2. In all honesty I had barely written much of anything since last year's NaNoWriMo, but I actually wrote a lot this past month, so it was quite successful for me :)
      THANKS! Uh, at the moment I think I'll be working on rewriting my book. Some days I might just write a bit of flash fiction though, just to take a step away and get in something fresh. XD
      ~Jaclynn~

      Delete
  2. I've already started plotting and I'm super excited for NaNo. And superhero novels are my favourite thing ever. My family is currently watching Supergirl, which is pretty cool. that picture of you is so cute, I love it. :D Nice post. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAS. What genre will you be writing for NaNoWriMo?

      How are you liking Supergirl? I've heard lots of mixed opinions on it.

      Delete
    2. A dystopian/historical (okay, so that makes no sense at all. What I mean is that it is kind of a historical retelling set in the future...).
      It's not as good as The Flash, and I think the plot is pretty unbelievable, but I always enjoy the characterisation in the DC tv shows.

      Delete
  3. INTERSTELLAR IS AMAZING. It's soundtrack is also the best music to write to ever. :D
    Writing outside!!! Sounds soooo nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I'M SO GLAD YOU SHARE MY LOVE FOR THAT GLORIOUS MOVIE. *happily faints*

      Delete
  4. Wow, that writing view!!! I would love a writer's retreat. That would be awesome.
    I own the whole Angel Eyes Trilogy and I think the third book is definitely worth the read. I feel like the first was the best in the series. The others seemed to be a bit overly preachy for my tastes. I love Jesus, but I don't like overly preachy books. So I definitely get where you're coming from.

    I'm not doing NaNo, but I do have a challenge going on in October if you'd like to check it out. You can use it to prep for NaNo if you like. :D

    This post was amazing. Now I really want a writer's retreat. *sighs*
    :D

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess. I wish I could take everyone on a writing retreat with me. That would honestly be so awesome. <3

      Ahh, okay. I know, the second one was SO much preachier than the first! Which was disappointing, but... oh well. I'll definitely still give the third one a try.

      I'll make sure to check it out! I'm assuming it's on your blog?

      Aww. <3

      Delete
  5. I love Interstellar. <3 I'm so glad to have found someone else who does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACKKK I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVE IT AS WELL. ISN'T IT A FILM-MAKING MASTERPIECE??

      Delete
  6. WHOA it LITERALLY feels like just last week that you posted your August Highlights. o.o

    Oh my goodness, that song is beautiful! Definitely something that I could write to. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? SAME? The year is going by wayyy too quickly. o.o

      Aw, I'm glad you like it. I've added it to a bunch of my playlists. xD

      Delete
  7. Oh I love all those photos <333 And I'm glad you accomplished so much! *high fives for Lake Superior* ourcity is like right by it even though I can't exactly see it from my window.

    AND SUPERHERO STORY??? I'm going to write one too -- whoohoo!!! Can't wait to see more of that!

    Also you linked to me -- thanks! You're the best!

    Lisa
    thisinkwell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *yaaas Lake Superior is the best* :D

      AHH SERIOUSLY? THAT'S AWESOME. That makes... four writers (counting me) I know who are writing superhero stories. o.o

      Of course! Only because you're the best. :D (and that post was the best, so)

      Delete
  8. Vacations are perfect for writing. Those books all look really good. I didn't like Broken Wings much either.

    Glad you are getting your writing and editing done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one. Have you read the third one?

      Delete
  9. Stairs...why did it have to be stairs??? They're the worst. XD Congrats on surviving that.

    It sounds like September was a good month. :) Also WHAT THE HECK IT'S SEPTEMBER? Since when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? Pft, I barely survived it. Ew. -.-

      HAHAH I KNOW. I BARELY REALIZED IT WAS SEPTEMBER AND NOW IT'S SUDDENLY OCTOBER. THIS YEAR IS SO CRAZY FAST.

      Delete
  10. Eep that picture of you with the birch tree is so beautiful. I'm getting allll the storyteller vibes from your pictures and it's awesome. (even if I wasn't there, haha. ;)

    And about your superhero story: I would lovelovelove to hear more if you're open to sharing some random ideas + discoveries about the story that you're excited about! It's super ("super" ;P) fun to know you'll be doing this genre, because when you're already fabulous at fantasy writing, WHO KNOWS how great you'll be at modern stories. ;)

    Even though I can't do NaNo, I am cheering all of you on!! Oh oh and SHARE SOME AESTHETICS DURING YOUR NANO RECAPS IF YOU HAVE TIME. Because you + story aesthetic = beautiful collages that I LOVE looking at.

    Can't wait to follow along with all the story stuff this fall when I have scraps of time! :D It will somewhat satisfy my writer's soul to hear alllll the things, even when I can't be writing myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. <3 Wish you could've been there!

      Mwahaha, I really hope to share some more! I'm hoping Cait will do another "about your story" book tag, because it's so much easier to talk about my book with prompts. Assuming I know more about my story by then. :P

      (or, likewise, who knows how horrible I might be at modern stories! But yay for optimism -- I appreciate it. :P)

      YES I REALLY SHOULD CREATE SOME AESTHETICS. Pinterest and I will be good friends this next month. xD

      Aww. I'm so sad you won't be joining all of us. *sniff* Maybe we'll have to have writing-and-study sessions in the evenings instead of normal word wars. Just so we can at least still enjoy each other's company. :P

      Delete
    2. YES PLEASE. Allll the aesthetics. <3

      Me too. :( But yes, that's a great idea! I'll probably pop into the Mitchtam chat every now and then for just that. :D

      Delete
    3. YOU MUST. We'll all struggle through our goals together. xD

      Delete
  11. I love the pic of you with the Birch trees!
    I'm hoping to be plotting during October...as long as school and socializing can happen too :)
    {bookstagram} @eliza.noel.writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg Eliza we should brainstorm our NaNo plots together this month! I didn't know you were doing NaNoWriMo this November!

      Delete
    2. Aww, thanks!

      YOU CAN DO THIS. <3

      Delete
  12. Oh my word Katie Grace, you hugging that little birch tree just makes me so happy because you are adorable. <3

    Also, that joke about Mozart....I'm dead. *laughs with you because I get your sense of humor so much and it was beautiful*

    I'M DOING NANOWRIMO and I've been screaming about that on your blog for about a month now I'm so sorry. You're probably so tired of listening to me rant about my Beauty and The Beast retelling and how I'm aiming for 30k words (and that's my way of sneaking that into yet another blog comment. Ravenclaw points anyone???).

    Also on a completely random note, I love that you're a Hufflepuff because we need more Hufflepuffs in our world. Pssst, I'm a Ravendor because I really don't want to let go of the little bit of Gryffindor that I thought I was for so long. I'm actually a Ravenclaw but shhh I'm still adapting to my new identity. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squeeeeeeee* thank you so much. I loved that little birch tree. xD

      RIGHT? Ehehehe. Everytime I think about it I start giggling again. :P

      YESS THAT IS OKAY YOU CAN SCREAM ABOUT NANOWRIMO ALL YOU WANT. Because I scream about it basically 24/7 and understand how exciting/nervewracking/terrifying it is. :P

      *patpat* You'll adapt eventually to your Ravenclaw self. They're pretty awesome. xD

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome!! <3

      Same, lol!

      Haha, yay thanks. I like screaming about NaNoWriMo. XD

      Yeah, almost all of my friends are Ravenclaws lol. It's hilarious.

      Delete
  13. It sounds like you had a great month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty great. I hope yours was too, Kendra!

      Delete
  14. I don't drink coffee and I'm incapable of plotting, so basically NANO KILLS ME.

    Thank you for sharing 'Dreamers' - I often struggle to find new music to my taste, and while this isn't quite the style I usually listen to, I enjoyed it.

    Your vacation-slash-writing-retreat looks like it was super peaceful and inspiring! It's so cool that you could go somewhere that looks like your story's setting. <3
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. XD What writerly drink do you usually go for instead, then?

      Yay! I'm glad you like it. I think the lyrics are so gorgeous. <3 What is your preferred music style?

      Delete
    2. I don't tend to eat or drink while writing - I need my fingers for typing! (I know... I barely qualify as a writer...)

      I don't know... which is why I struggle to find new music. ;P Owl City, Two Steps from Hell (for writing), geeky soundtracks??

      Delete
    3. *GASP* Wowza, I don't know how you do it. XD

      *nodnod* Gotcha. Yeah, that would be tough. Do you use Spotify? I like using their recommendations for finding new music. :)

      Delete
  15. Your month sounded like an absolute blast!! Your writing view and everything...AHH! It's so beautiful <33 And the stairs thing made me laugh! A couple weeks ago we went on a hike that had 317-something stairs and altogether i think 2,150 steps, or something like that. It was longgggg. But fun XD
    I loved reading this!! Good job with not staying up so late, i know the struggle! #nightowl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE THAT SOUNDS HIDEOUS. O.O I HONESTLY DON'T THINK I COULD CLIMB THAT MANY STAIRS. I... just... wut. Rubber legs. xD

      #nightowlforlife

      Delete
  16. I don't know if I'll be OFFICIALLY doing NaNo this year but I definitely want to try to finish my novel next month? I want to write at least 50-60K words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowza, go you for overachieving! YOU GOT THIS, GRACE. <3

      Delete
  17. ACK I really want to watch Interstellar now. I've not really heard a ton about it but if you think it's good THEN IT MUST BE.

    Getting healthy amounts of sleep can be so haaaard. XD I've got myself a set minimum of seven hours and I'm actually getting kinda better at it too so YAY GO US. XP

    My september has had a lot of fun and busyness but I think that's normal? My life kinda got really busy at the beginning of this year, and I've been expecting it to slow down for months and months now but it still hasn't so I guess this is how it's staying maybe.

    And YEET I'M SO EXCITED ACTUALLY. I'm going to a homeschool conference next weekend and IT'S GOING TO BE A TON OF FUN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASEEEE SEE IT. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. And if you do you must update me as you or after you watch it. But just keep an open mind, because it is a very different movie? It reminds me of Arrival (another fab movie) with that slow/creepy/aesthetic vibe. asdkjf; I love it.

      YAS GO US. Try to get our sleep habits instilled before NaNo starts. xD

      *nodnod* OOH YAY HAVE FUN AT THE HOMESCHOOL CONFERENCE. Look at lots of books. xD

      Delete
  18. EDITING BY THE LAKE SOUNDS TOO MAGNIFICENT, I just got the chills thinking about it wow. Also sleep? What's that? Do you mean telling yourself you're going to edit a chapter but end up watching Buzzfeed Unsolved videos until 3 AM and then being too scared to sleep? Happens to me every night.

    Happy October!!

    ~ Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHAHA yikes I don't think I would be able to do that. I read a mystery book that was only slightly creepy before bed once and I was thoroughly freaked out. xD

      Delete
  19. I'm definitely a NaNo planner. I have to at least have an outline before I start, if not a dream in place and quite a few excerpts from some of the scenes.

    Don't you just love it when you get to write in a setting similar to your story? It's just so amazing! I'm glad you're excited about editing. It's always great when you get that extra burst of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nodnod* That's a good strategy to have!

      YESS. IT'S SO AWESOME. Have you ever done it before? Ugh, I already want to go back. xD

      Delete
  20. Don't even get me started on stairs...I just did a 10 mile running challenge that goes up and down to five different mountain peaks...

    SO. MANY. STAIRS.

    But it really helps for story inspiration. Especially because I have a few "run to save the day" moments.

    Writing retreats are the best. Just being able to sit back in a beautiful place and write. And a superhero story? Coolness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.O *jaw drops open* Uuuuhm, that... that... that's insane. I don't think I would survive. XD

      Delete
  21. THAT OPENING JOKE THOUGH. Definitely made me laugh! I totally feel you about the writing retreat thing....vacations and new settings always make me feel inspired. You go after that writing dream, girl! You can totally do it! Also, I love the woodsy picture - so cute. Makes me miss the woods and hiking!

    PS Still not sure about NaNo. I think I might be a last-minute-freak-out-and-just-throw-words-at-the-keyboard type writer? GAH IDK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I'm glad you giggled. xD

      EYY DO IT. I've been there done that. It's not recommended, but it certainly throws some added excitement into the mix. :P

      Delete
  22. NaNoWriMo is coming... AND I'M PANICKING A BIT. I'm still trying to choose between two different novel ideas and I just can't and agh. XD

    But anyway, your superhero novel sounds like it will be a ton of fun to write!

    Also A++ on that opening joke. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEK. Ooh, what are your two ideas? *wants to hear all about them*

      Ehehe, thanks. xD

      Delete
  23. Glad you had such a nice month! I'm not doing NaNo because...it would be what I did instead of sleeping every night and I just don't feel like I can fit it in anywhere else right now, and I'm already focusing extra on art this month. Anyway, good luck with all the things! That superhero novel looks like it's going to be the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, taking care of health and your brain and sanity is definitely something to look after. But good luck with all of your artsy things! What type of art do you like to create? (sketching? painting? something else?)

      Haha, I sure hope it will be. :P

      Delete
  24. This was literally my first introduction to you, and I positively LOVE IT. I may have to peek in here regularly from now on. :)

    Commenting as part of my challenge: rebekahdevall.wordpress.com/challenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Rebekah! I'd love to have you stick around. :D

      (also, I checked out that challenge. DUDE. THAT'S INTENSE. o.o)

      Delete
  25. October is my favorite month, gosh <3 and birch trees are so gorgeous i love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I hope your October lives up to your expectations. :D

      Delete
  26. Good to hear that you had a good month of writing (i'm really interested to find out more about your book, btw) - I did quite a bit of writing as well, and actually felt motivated to write stuff, which is a wonderful feeling. Where I live the weather is finally warming up a little bit, which is great, but springtime allergies are not great. :p

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved reading your post!:) I also loved the pictures through out it, they are so lovely!:)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhhh, it sounds like you had such a great writing month!! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete

don't be shy to hang out in the comment section!
make frens, check back for my replies, keep things clean, shout about pizza, squeal about books, moan about editing... all that cool stuff.